Blog Post 2

 

In terms of my experience with Microsoft Word, I have been certified in the application before, but this was back in middle school. I still have basic knowledge of Microsoft Word; however, I feel like I have lost my proficiency in it overtime. Using Word in the past has been very impactful towards my learning and my note taking, as it is an easy way to jot down quick notes and write summaries. I have also used Google Docs frequently in the past, but have never gotten formal training in the subject, so I prefer Microsoft Word. I have used Google Docs to collaborate on certain topics, as other people can access it easily and always see an updated version of the document, whereas Word documents are not easily accessible to others. I find that word works better for individual topics.

The ISTE Standards for Educators would include the concepts of being a learner, a leader, a citizen, a collaborator, a designer, a facilitator, and an analyst. I feel as though the most important concept of these would be as a designer. As an educator, it is necessary to accommodate to every child and modify oneself to fit the needs of a student. This includes having the creativity to create lessons driven by the purpose of molding the learning methods being implemented to fit each child. This will ensure that each child will be able to gain knowledge from the lesson, and that no child is left out of the classroom. This is the most important concept to learn as an educator as without this, a teacher is entirely unable to meet the needs of his or her children.

 

I agree with the concept of being a “digital native”. While I feel as though younger generations have far more experience in technology from an early age than their older counterparts, and that they fit the label of being a “digital native”, I do think that they are brought up in a far less technology driven development education than is thought of. Today’s youth still hold value in concepts such as friends, sports, family interaction, and school, all of which have not been replaced with technology. It can be understood how technology presented from birth would nativize children to the concepts associated with it. In terms of generational differences between teachers and students, I have experienced this firsthand. When my first semester was entirely virtual, one of my professors had little experience with the online platform and did not see the value of attempting to fix his mistakes made on canvas. This made due dates and syllabus information very difficult. In the future, I could see my students having more modern knowledge of technology, however I feel as though I will still be able to relate to them in terms of technology.






"Kids Playing" by Duane Storey is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Comments

  1. Being a digital native has its ups and downs. While our generation is more familiar with technology then the last, we are not as fluent as the generation after us. This is the same generational gap that is always present, but until now I have never noticed. You do not notice the differences until you take a step back, and this blog post made me reflect on that. I am fairly familiar with technology that is current today but unfortunately, there are some portions of technology I do not know how to operate. For example, Twitter. Before this class I did not know how to operate twitter. I still am unfamiliar with the social media but I am becoming more used to using this network and understanding it is a very useful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie,

    I really enjoyed your blog post on your use of digital materials as well as your thoughts on digital natives. I find it interesting that you use Microsoft Word for note-taking. I personally like to use a pen and paper to take my notes. I also agree that the younger generation is more likely to be digital natives than our generation. They use technology a lot sooner in their lives, than we did as children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddie,
    I love how you emphasized the being inclusive to each child. At points it can be quite challenging, but it is so important that all children are being considered. I also very much enjoyed your view on being a "digital native". Although I grew up a "digital native" it can be quite challenging to navigate multiple platforms, especially for syllabus and many different due dates. Technology becomes more of a way to communicate a lot sooner than many of us, so it is more likely to become less of a challenge than when we were learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog